Thursday, May 26, 2022


 See this weeks print edition  

for these stories:

  • Local Bowling News
  • Tribe Lacrosse Ends Record-Setting Season
  • Shive, Von Dohren Win at Grandview
  • Stoudt Gets No Decision in Strong Outing
  • Local Alumni Updates
  • Local Golf League Updates
  • and much, much more!







News Article
Return to Previous Page

In Service from a Classroom to a Gristmill
Written by Larry Roeder, Editor

            When the East Greenville School Board was organized in 1888, it purchased the school building of the Greenville Literacy Society which was located on Third Street in

Rooms on the second floor of the East Greenville School were

used by the local American Legion Post until the school board

had to take them back as the local student population grew.

The local veteran's group opted to move across School Alley

to a space in Realty Hall.

the borough.  The board added two rooms in 1888 and two more in 1902.

            When the new high school building was constructed on Jefferson Street in 1915, and older students started attending there, it left the Third Street building with some unused space.

            The school board decided to allow the American Legion Post #184 to use rooms on the third floor of the building for a meeting room and rest quarters for their members.

            That is, until June of 1923 when the school board advised the Legion that there was a need to open another classroom and they would no longer be able to utilize the third-floor rooms. 

            Legion members were quite upset and expressed their displeasure at the decision.  Some felt that they were being subjected to considerable inconvenience in light of the fact that they had spent a considerable amount of money on improvements to the rooms.  Those improvements included wallpaper and electrical outlets.

            Some others felt that it was a sign of disrespect to those who served in the

After a short stay using a room on the second floor

of Realty Hall, the members of the Legion 

Post #184 purchased the former site of Greisa-

mer's photography studio a few blocks to the

north on Main St.

recent war and asked for the public's help to dissuade the school board.

            A week after the notice was issued, a special meeting was called between the school board and Legion members to air and, hopefully, resolve the issue.

            At the meeting it was clarified and understood that, when the school's officials initially allowed the Legion use of the building, the Legion would vacate at any time the board of directors needed the room.

            The delegation who met with the school directors immediately agreed that they would vacate the space and let the board know that the members who expressed displeasure were unaware of the previous agreement between the two groups.

            The American Legion Post 184 then moved that summer to the second floor of Realty Hall, just a few steps away on the corner of Main and Third streets.

            But that didn't last long because, in March of 1924, the members of the Legion Post voted to purchase the former Walter Greisamer property on Main Street in East Greenville. The two-story brick house and frame barn were located next to the East Greenville firehouse. The property once housed Greisamer's photography studio.

            In less than a year the group went from a room in an old school building to their own multi-room facility that nobody could ask them to move out of.

            That would be their home until 1945 when the group agreed to purchase a former gristmill and property of the Millside Amusement Park in Upper Hanover Township. 

            It is where the American Legion Perkiomen Post #184 still resides.

The American Legion Post #184 would finally plant their roots in a building that

was once Liebert's grist mill, on property that was previously a large part of

Millside Amusement Park.







Home Editorial
News Photos
Sports Business Directory
Obituaries Classified Ads
Calendar Contact Us
  Advertise with the Town & Country... It's the weekly paper that people read, not just look at!  Click here to learn more or sign up.   Serving the municipalities of Bally, East Greenville, Green Lane, Hereford, Lower Salford, Marlborough, Milford, New Hanover, Pennsburg, Red Hill, Trumbauersville, Upper Hanover, Upper Salford
The Town & Country is now available at 64 locations throughout the region! Pick up your copy at any of the locations here, or better yet, have it delivered directly to your mailbox!  Click here to subscribe.

Local News for Local Readers since 1899.
© Copyright 2009 and Terms of Use
Site Design by Bergey Creative Group